Saturday, January 29, 2011

forgot ipmi password

Hi

I've lost the password of my supermicro ipmi interface (since i almost never use it...) and well, i was wondering if there is a way to reset the password somehow. My motherboard is the x8sti-f.

Thanks in advance.

  • If you access it locally you can specify a new password. On Linux this would be done via ipmitool. Something like this should work:

    ipmitool -I open lan set 1 password NEWPASSWORD
    

    If you don't know which channel is your ethernet interface, just page through them one at at time, like so:

    # ipmitool -I open channel info 1
    Channel 0x1 info:
      Channel Medium Type   : 802.3 LAN
      Channel Protocol Type : IPMB-1.0
      Session Support       : multi-session
      Active Session Count  : 0
      Protocol Vendor ID    : 7154
      Volatile(active) Settings
        Alerting            : disabled
        Per-message Auth    : disabled
        User Level Auth     : enabled
        Access Mode         : always available
      Non-Volatile Settings
        Alerting            : disabled
        Per-message Auth    : disabled
        User Level Auth     : enabled
        Access Mode         : always available
    

    Note that the medium type is "802.3 LAN". That's the one you want. Other channels may look like this:

    # ipmitool -I open channel info 2
    Channel 0x2 info:
      Channel Medium Type   : Serial/Modem
      Channel Protocol Type : IPMB-1.0
      Session Support       : single-session
      Active Session Count  : 0
      Protocol Vendor ID    : 7154
    # ipmitool -I open channel info 3
    Channel 0x3 info:
      Channel Medium Type   : System Interface
      Channel Protocol Type : KCS
      Session Support       : session-less
      Active Session Count  : 0
      Protocol Vendor ID    : 7154
    
    madpato : When you refer to linux os, you mean that i should connect to the server locally with a laptop under linux and then issue those commands? Also, do i need to connect directly to the ipmi interface right?
    Insyte : When I mentioned Linux, it was because you didn't specify the OS in your post and that's the only one I know. If you're using Windows, it wouldn't work to just connect with a Linux laptop, but you should be able to boot off a Linux live CD (e.g., Knoppix) and use the ipmitool command there. It would probably be easier to find a native utility for Windows. It looks like ipmiutil is available for Windows. It looks like ipmiutil is available. Also check this out http://serverfault.com/questions/1395/how-to-utilize-ipmi-on-windows
    madpato : well i forgot to mention that it is a linux os, debian lenny 64. so i could do it remotely (i dont wanna go to my dc) The system is running fine, i'm just worried if i ever need it i will not have the password to access it.
    Insyte : Then what I described should work: Log in remotely via ssh and set the IPMI password. When I said "locally" I meant that you would be running `ipmitool` while logged into the server, not on another host.
    madpato : i did not have ipmitool installed so i did apt-get install ipmi tool, then i got this: Setting up ipmitool (1.8.9-2) ... ipmievd: using pidfile /var/run/ipmievd.pid0 Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory Unable to open interface invoke-rc.d: initscript ipmievd, action "start" failed. Unable to start ipmievd during installation. Trying to disable. Is there anything i'm missing? thank you.
    Insyte : You'll need to load the modules: `modprobe ipmi_si; modprobe ipmi_devintf; modprobe ipmi_msghandler`
    madpato : I've managed to change the password with the instructions, but now i can't even see the login page in the web browser, but i can still ping the ip. Is there anything extra that needs to be done? thank you.
    Insyte : Sorry, can't help you there. I'm not familiar with the Supermicro IPMI setup. I didn't even know it had a web interface. Now that you have the ability to manage the IPMI interface via the CLI you should be able to poke around and identify the options for the web interface...
    From Insyte

0 comments:

Post a Comment