Friday, May 6, 2011

how to add a code-behind page to a view or partial view

I notice with the latest version of ASP.NET MVC that a View no longer defaults to having code-behind classes.

How do I go about adding a code-behind class now to a View or Partial View??

From stackoverflow
  • How to add a Code-behind page to a Partial View

    Seems this wasn't particularly tricky, and is quite do-able. This answer worked for a Partial ViewUserControl but the same should apply for a Normal MVC ViewPage as well

    1. Add a new Class file with the convention of <view filename & extention>.cs (i.e. view.ascx.cs)

    2. Add using System.Web.Mvc; to the class

    3. Change the class to Inherit from ViewUserControl<>.
      i.e. public class Foo:ViewUserControl

    4. Add the following to the View's header:

      CodeBehind="View.ascx.cs" Inherits="Project.Views.Shared.View"

    5. Copy the files out of the solution and drag back in to re-associate the two together. This may not be necessary in VS 2010+ and MVC 2+.

    For this to work with a normal MVC View, you just need to inherit the class from "ViewPage"

    Andrew : Thanks for that. I've found a quicker way to associate the two files together is to right-click them, choose Exclude From Project, then with 'Show All Files' selected right-click them again and re-include them.
  • I'm not sure why you are creating a code behind file, but if you really really do, then I would consider using the standard webforms approach instead.

    I would also look into the basics of MVC to understand why page behinds are not needed.

    Another explanation

    How to use ASP:Chart without a code-behind (Option B)

    Harry : It's quite simple really. I need to use code behind to populate the Chart series i'm using. It wouldn't let me use a normal MVC approach. This is a REAL world compromise, and it works.
    Dan Atkinson : In that case, here is how you can use Chart without a code-behind: http://code-inside.de/blog-in/2008/11/27/howto-use-the-new-aspnet-chart-controls-with-aspnet-mvc/
    Harry : So are you telling me you would prefer to have very messy hard to manage spaghetti code in your html? I think this is very valid use of code behind. It is not controller logic, it isn't presentation code. it is presentation preparation.
    Dan Atkinson : You don't *have* to put all of that code in the view. It's merely put there to show the user that they don't need to use code-behinds to achieve the same thing.
  • Ok, I have verified the solution, here is something that you need to note:

    CodeBehind="View.ascx.cs" Inherits="Project.Views.Shared.View"

    In your case, you need to change "Project.Views.Shared.View" based on your namespace and classname, and in order to access the control in the code-behind, you have to manually add declaration in code-behind. In my case, I need to initialize the gigaSoft proEssential control:

    public class gigaTest2 : ViewUserControl
    {
        protected global::Gigasoft.ProEssentials.PegoWeb PegoWeb1;
        protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            // Set Titles 
            PegoWeb1.PeString.MainTitle = "Hello ASP.NET";
            PegoWeb1.PeString.SubTitle = "";
    
            // One simple way of passing data, data binding also possible. //' 
            PegoWeb1.PeData.Subsets = 1;
            PegoWeb1.PeData.Points = 6;
            PegoWeb1.PeData.Y[0, 0] = 10;
            PegoWeb1.PeData.Y[0, 1] = 30;
            PegoWeb1.PeData.Y[0, 2] = 20;
            PegoWeb1.PeData.Y[0, 3] = 40;
            PegoWeb1.PeData.Y[0, 4] = 30;
            PegoWeb1.PeData.Y[0, 5] = 50;
    
            // Set style of chart and a few other properties //' 
            PegoWeb1.PePlot.Method = Gigasoft.ProEssentials.Enums.GraphPlottingMethod.Bar;
            PegoWeb1.PePlot.Option.GradientBars = 8;
            PegoWeb1.PeFont.FontSize = Gigasoft.ProEssentials.Enums.FontSize.Large;
        }
    
  • you guys are so full of crap. One of the few good things in asp.net was code behind. Yeah sure you can mix it in with the html.... I say BS! use a code behind! Yes this should only contain code to RENDER the view but still its much much neater than mixing with HTML. Don't be a purest and Use what works!

0 comments:

Post a Comment